Friday, August 18, 2006

Movies that Match Fiction





















Here are nine movies that are about as good (or even slightly better) than the fiction they're based on -- a rare treat. This is by no means an exhaustive list, only a start.

I love every one of these films:

The Lost Weekend (1945). Director, Billy Wilder. Novel, Charles R. Jackson.

The Bad Seed (1956). Director, Mervyn LeRoy. Novel, William March. Play, Maxwell Anderson.

To Kill A Mockingbird (1962). Director, Robert Mulligan. Novel, Harper Lee.

The Last Picture Show (1971). Director, Peter Bogdanovich. Novel, Larry McMurtry.

Wise Blood (1979). Director, John Huston. Novel, Flannery O’Connor.

Affliction (1997). Director, Paul Schrader. Novel, Russell Banks.

Fight Club (1999). Director, David Fincher. Novel, Chuck Palhniuk.

Wonder Boys (2000). Director, Curtis Hanson. Novel, Michael Chabon.

My Life Without Me (2003). Director, Isabel Coixet. Story, Nanci Kincaid.


Today's Rune: Fertility.

Ciao! Manhattan!

4 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

Great stuff .. I was thoroughly ready to hate "Wonderboys" after reading the great book, but you're right .. to me, it's a dead heat between the two

Luma Rosa said...

This very supplied well of films for the weekend! Beijus

Cheri said...

"The Bad Seed" is one of my favorites! Both book and movie! I was maybe, oh, eleven when I first saw it? Best Buy has it on DVD.


What I love about the book is that it ends MUCH differently than the movie. IMDB.com gave the reason as that those making the movie didn't want evil to prevail. March was much darker and I think he ended the story in a more appropriate way.

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks all for the comments! Cheri, I agree about the book's ending being better, but the movie's so fun that the tacked on ending seems almost comical. Not to mention the bowing "players" and disclaimer :->