Thursday, September 14, 2006

Ramones: Sheena Is A Punk Rocker


















"Sheena Is A Punk Rocker" is still, thirty years after its first release, one of my favorites. It's so simple, minimalistic, catchy, anthemic; yet it's also sweet, like a glimmer of a love song as well as a declaration of independence. Plus I like to imagine this punk rocker Sheena in action. What more do we need to know?
















The crux, for me, of the lyrics:

But she just couldn't stay
She had to break away
Well New York City really has it all
Oh yeah, oh yeah

Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker now

I love it! If there are any other Ramones fans out there reading this, I'd be fascinated to know one or more of your faves.















Today's Rune: Fertility.

Gabba gabba hey!

5 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

I remember seeing the Ramones in a small bar in Detroit called Traxx. Some of my favorites: "Beat on the Brat," "The KKK Took My Baby Away," and of course, "I Wanna Be Sedated." Hell, I could mention more. Seeing them play a small venue kept my enthusiam for them going for years.

Anonymous said...

I love the Raomones!

Anonymous said...

"Bonzo Goes to Bitberg"

Anonymous said...

Blitzreig Bop, Rockaway Beach, Teenage Lobotomy, Outsider, I Wanna Be Sedated.
Yay! Another person I have met who likes the Ramones.

Erik Donald France said...

Hi Helen, Jim, Brenda, Nikki, and Niles: thanks for all the comments. Ramones rule! The few, the proud, the Ramones. Mostly now, RIP, but themusic lives on: I like every song listed below and then some. Ooorah! Gabba Gabba Hey! I *got* my Ph.D., was a teenage lobotomy . . . I don't care about Burger King, 'cause I'm against it ;) (Indeed, my doctorate is in history, and I worked at Burger King for a few months as a teenager)