Monday, October 30, 2006

High Plains Drifter





















Now that Clint Eastwood has been brought up again, it's time to name some of his movies that work best as stories and works of art -- yes, works of art. I haven't seen Flags of Our Fathers (2006), but I do know that my Eastwood preferences are mostly old school.

Let's start with the Spaghetti Westerns: Per un pugno di dollari (1964) / For a Fistful of Dollars (1967); Per qualche dollaro in piu (1965) / For a Few Dollars More (1967); and the most compelling of these primal macho existential classics, Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo / The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1967). It may have been the Summer of Love in San Francisco, but not in Vietnam, and not on the big screen.

The next cycle of Eastwood classics came out in the early 1970s. Play Misty for Me (1971); The Beguiled or "A Painted Devil," an interesting working title (1971); Dirty Harry (1971); and Magnum Force (1973). And, of course, High Plains Drifter (1973).

Although 76-year old Clint Eastwood (b. May 31, 1930) has had a very successful career ever since, these are still my favorites by far. Mystic River (2003) is very well directed among his more recent film productions.

Today's Rune for Devil's Night: Strength.

Go ahead, make my day.

5 comments:

Sara's Varolo Village said...

I got caught up in some silly Clint Eastwood movie where he was a heart transplant recipient who had an donor organ from a murder victim. It was so good, I didn't notice how close my labor pains were getting and almost delivered my second child on my inlaws' couch.

I tell all my friends that Clint Eastwood is the best labor pain medication.

Sara (Had third child with epidural and Clint Eastwood.)

Laura said...

My favorite is the Dirty Harry movies. I do want to see Flags of Our Fathers, it looks like it would be pretty good.

Anonymous said...

My favorite Clint Eastwood western--The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. Mystic River, that he directed, was incredible, though, especially Sean Penn's performance. He's such an intense actor that he becomes the character. Truly amazing.

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks y'all for the comments! Good to know Clint has been of pragmatic help ;) I agree on Mystic River, for sure.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Oddly enough, my favorite is The Beguiled. For some reason, Clint squinting his eyes to the sudden realization that his legs are gone worked for me. And how did I miss High Plains Drifter?