Saturday, November 04, 2006

God's Angry Man and Other Eccentrics



The USA has a rich tradition of religious eccentrics, crackpots, and pop-style entertainers, especially since the advent of TV ministries (or are they mini-series?). Evangelical leaders can be funny, aside from their evident hypocrisy and sometimes heinously Puritanical political impact. They are paid to entertain their flock much like any other celebrities. If people want to send them money, what the hell, what the heck? As long as they don't force people to join them, whatever.

I had a grandmother and an aunt who sent money to support their chosen man of God. It provided them comfort in a dodgy world. Who can say these people aren't doing some good?

I used to love watching Eugene Scott (8/14/1927-2/21/2005), or Dr. Gene Scott as he preferred, on his 24-hour "University Network." My parents, living in the country, had satellite TV, so I could watch this compellingly flamboyant cigar-smoking dude at odd hours. There's a fine documentary about him, too -- Werner Herzog, God's Angry Man (1980) -- that gets up close and personal with Scott. He's very open with Herzog, who empathizes with his charisma and drive, his sheer nuttiness.




Living in North Carolina at the height of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker's popularity in the 1980s, I watched them occasionally, too. One of my brothers-in-law once suggested they add a "Christian rodeo" to their TV PTL Network programs for extra pizzaz -- Jim could lasso and round up some camping buddies. PTL, in case you didn't know, stands for Praise the Lord (and pass the money). Their Heritage, USA Christian theme park and center operation near Charlotte, N.C., fell apart due to a sex scandal involving Jessica Hahn; there were also allegations of Jim Bakker (originally from Muskegon, Michigan, by the way) "frolicking in the steam room" with other Christian men. He ended up in jail and was later released. Tammy Faye Bakker is the subject of a sweet, droll documentary called The Eyes of Tammy Faye (2000). Sadly, Tammy Faye is dying. She was one of the more innocent of these characters -- plus she was married to Jim Bakker. Isn't that punishment enough? I hope she gets another great TV show in the sky, and angels sing.



Sex scandals go with the territory. Jimmy Swaggart was very sorry he was taped visiting hookers, poor man. He was just trying to Walk With Jesus, after all, and understand the downtrodden better. The Buddha might have done the same out of sheer compassion for the much-maligned prostitutes. Who knows?

As for Ted Haggard, he said to a cameraman (you can see this watching Jesus Camp, 2006): "I think I know what you did last night. If you send me a thousand dollars, I won't tell your wife." I guess such things were weighing heavily on his mind.



Today's Rune: Fertility.

Dr. Gene Scott, RIP.

7 comments:

Laura said...

I remember when all that evangelistic scandal was going on. Did you ever turn off the sound and just watch those evangelists on television. It's really quite amusing.

ZZZZZZZ said...

I think it is so amusing to watch them on tv.

Bird on a Wire said...

Great post. I really enjoyed Herzog's "Grizzly Man," so I'll have to take a look at "God's Angry Man." I'd never thought of Tammy Faye as "the innocent one," but you might be on to something.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Tammy Faye was on some twisted reality show, and I swear to God (really I do) she was the only normal person in the house.

Anonymous said...

Jack Van Impe has my vote hands down.

Anonymous said...

I like that, Erik, "Praise the Lord" and "pass the money!" That about sums it up, doesn't it.

Anonymous said...

when i was in college i could swear i saw gene scott smoking a cigar surrounded by hookers. am i crazy or not?