Thursday, November 02, 2006

William Styron: Lie Down in Darkness




















The death of William Styron (b. Newport News, Virginia, 6/11/1925-d. 11/1/2006, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts) throws my mind back to my high school years in Durham, North Carolina.

Given that every English teacher I've ever taken classes with has ranged from eccentric to outlandish and sometimes outrageous, Mrs. V. stands out as a moody mix of them all, only with a very Southern twist. Hailing from Mississippi, she taught an outstanding class called "Southern Writers." Mrs. V. loved her people and championed their work, had met Faulkner, the master, and had us read his novels, plus Tennessee Williams' plays, Flannery O'Connor's writings, Carson McCullers, Walker Percy, and also her friends Eudora Welty and Reynolds Price (who came to class once). Anne Tyler was in the mix somehow, too. For a special research paper, I was given William Styron's The Confessions of Nat Turner (1967), which I found alternately absorbing and nauseating, and certainly memorable.

Styron was an intense guy, masking depression with various addictions I suppose, but also, perhaps, because of his sensitivity, perceptiveness and depth. After attending Davidson College, he graduated from Duke, with stints in the Marine Corps before and after. Before he died yesterday, he completed five novels (including Sophie's Choice, 1979) and three other books, including Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness (1990).

I thank Mrs. V for making me read Styron early. I don't remember a Mr. V, but she had a son who suffered from a wasting disease. In class, she alternated between fussy propriety to whispered enthusiasm at "Freudian symbolism" like cigars, hot lava, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Mrs V. refused to ever mention General William Tecumseh Sherman's name ("that awful man") because of Vicksburg and Atlanta, and always referred to the American Civil War as "The War of Northern Aggression" or "The War for Southern Independence." Since I was born in Yankee Pennsylvania, I found her observations highly entertaining and a bit Mississippi crazy. In her mind, very little of importance happened in the world since "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." Except, of course, for Southern writers -- America's saving grace in the twentieth century.

Today's Rune: Journey.

Adieu, William Styron.

5 comments:

Laura said...

General Sherman is one of my ancestors. I guess Ms. V. would have hated to have me in her class.

Anonymous said...

I've read a couple of posts on Styron, but your's is the most enjoyable, Erik! I loved Sophie's Choice and I just might have to add his memoir to my shopping list (which keeps getting longer!) Southern writers--gotta love 'em! Sounds like Ms. V was quite the character!

JR's Thumbprints said...

I sure wish I had had an English teacher like Ms. V. But then again, she would've seen some real northern aggression.

ZZZZZZZ said...

Yeah... ditto on General Sherman being one of my ancestors (duh since he's related to my mother as well) haha.

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks, y'all for the comments ;)
Sherman was a fascinating person and an excellent strategist. My dissertation is mostly about his most capable Confederate foe -- Gen'l Joseph Eggleston Johnston. "Old Joe" surrendered to "Cump" on the outskirts of Durham, N.C. after Lee surrendered to Grant. How closely related are you, Laura and Sheila?