Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Modern Instrument



Excerpt from "Watching the News" (Iggy Pop, Zombie Birdhouse, 1982):

Who are these people?
They don't belong!
Where is the U.S. Navy?
I like the action!
Money money
Food here
Woman woman
Fight here
Approval approval
Frown frown
Approval

. . . . .

The president today announced that he's pushing all the buttons in a giggling fit Hahahaha


Excerpt from Edward L. Bernays, Propaganda (1930 edition):

No matter how sophisticated, how cynical the public may become about publicity methods, it must respond to the basic appeals [emphasis added], because it will always need food, crave amusement, long for beauty, respond to leadership.

Propaganda will never die out. Intelligent men must realize that propaganda is the modern instrument by which they can fight for productive ends and help bring order out of chaos.


Today's Rune: Separation (Reversed).

Achtung! Achtung!

5 comments:

Danny Tagalog said...

Hi Erik,

Interesting avebue you're taking, using Iggy skilfully too. Fantastic.

I write a long piece about a book I read today by George Lakoff - "Metaphors We Live By" and this classic from 1980 sees him analyse Carter's use of WAR as a metaphor to create political and economic change and during the energy crisis.

I have to get some shuteye, so I'll bid you adieu, otherwise my sleep debt will overcome me.

Last week of term for some classes, so time had been short.

Danny Tagalog said...

TYPOES REMOVED!

Hi Erik,

Interesting avenue you're taking, using Iggy skilfully too. Fantastic.

I wrote a long piece about a book I read today (by coincidence) by George Lakoff - "Metaphors We Live By" - but lost it, so I'll have to put it on hold. Lakoff is worth looking into - re, linguistic propaganda.

This classic from 1980 sees him analyse Carter's use of WAR as a metaphor to create political and economic change and during the energy crisis.

I have to get some shuteye, so I'll bid you adieu, otherwise my sleep debt will overcome me.

Last week of term for some classes, so time had been short.

Mata ne...

Bird on a Wire said...

Very timely, and yes, propaganda will always be around.

I love the use of the Iggy Pop lyrics.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Chaos Theory indeed. It's like driving down the road, everything's going smoothly, then an accident occurs, cars are trying to maneuver all over the place. Next thing you know, the traffic seems to be driving you, instead of you driving through the traffic. Out of chaos comes order. (Same with managing prisoners.)

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks all for the comments. Danny, I remember Jimmy's "moral equivalent of war" drive for energy efficiency. People preferred Reagan's "Morning Again in America" pablum instead. My parents got solar panels with Carter's incentives; Reagan ended them.