Monday, January 15, 2007

Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before



"I fully understand they could try to stop me from doing it. But I made my decision, and we're going forward." -- U.S. President G.W. Bush, January 2007.

Excerpt from speech by Martin Luther King, Jr., New York City, April 4, 1967:

This Madness Must Cease

Somehow this madness must cease. We must stop now. I speak as a child of God and brother to the suffering poor of Vietnam. I speak for those whose land is being laid waste, whose homes are being destroyed, whose culture is being subverted. I speak for the poor of America who are paying the double price of smashed hopes at home and death and corruption in Vietnam. I speak as a citizen of the world, for the world as it stands aghast at the path we have taken. I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours.

This is the message of the great Buddhist leaders of Vietnam. Recently one of them wrote these words:

"Each day the war goes on the hatred increases in the heart of the Vietnamese and in the hearts of those of humanitarian instinct. The Americans are forcing even their friends into becoming their enemies. It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat. The image of America will never again be the image of revolution, freedom and democracy, but the image of violence and militarism."

7 comments:

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

Thanks for this posting. I read it three times. I think it is so easy to get caught up in the mundane that we forget that which is important.

Peace

Danny Tagalog said...

I agree with Stewart - many do get caught up in the mundane. But the situation is pure madness. These bombs will for sure only foster hatred.

JR's Thumbprints said...

The Shrub is at it again. He even thinks the citizens of Iraqi should be eternally greatful for every decision he's made. What planet's he from anyway?

Anonymous said...

Planet(sniff)Hollywood.

Pythia3 said...

This is a beautiful post, Erik. It brought tears to my eyes . . . Thank you

Anonymous said...

What an excellent post, Erik! Thanks! I'd never read it before.

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks y'all for the comments ;)
Much appreciated!