Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Occupational Hazards


"The gifted, wide-eyed sprite who is Mrs. Sinatra," Life (May 5, 1967).

Before linking up for a time with Woody Allen in the 1980s, Mia Farrow (b. Maria de Lourdes Villiers-Farrow, 2/9/1945) starred in Peyton Place and married Frank Sinatra, when he was 50 and she was 21. Hmmmm, very interesting. Old Blue Eyes tried to put the kibosh on her acting career, but in 1968 she starred in Rosemary's Baby (directed by Roman Polanski and co-starring John Cassavetes) and went to India, grooving about with the Beatles, her sister "Dear" Prudence, Donovan, and others under the tutelage of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Frankie quickly filed for divorce -- his latest wife proving too much of a handful, apparently.

Mia Farrow next hooked up with André Previn, husband of Dory (Langdon) Previn. André was a little younger than Sinatra, but not by much. Bye bye, Dory was not amused: she composed a tidy little song about the situation: "Beware of Young Girls." If that ain't irony, I don't know what is. On the other hand, maybe it was intended as a curse on Mia.

Backtrack a little for more freebasing irony. André Previn and Dory Previn had collaborated on a bunch of movie soundtracks. Between them, Gigi (remember the plot of that one?), Elmer Gantry (and that one?), Irma La Douce and Paint Your Wagon (polyandry/polygamy in the Old West with Clint Eastwood, Jean Seberg, and Lee Marvin, all singing away?). Let's not forget Valley of the Dolls, and to top things off, Dory Previn's 1970 song, "With My Daddy in the Attic."


Sample:

with my daddy in the attic
with my daddy in the attic
that is where my dark attraction lies

with his madness on the nightstand
placed beside his loaded gun
in the terrifying nearness of his eyes

with no window spying neighbors
and no husbands in the future
to intrude upon our attic past the stair
where we'll live on peanut butter
spread across assorted crackers
and he'll play
his clarinet
when i despair

Creepy, eh? That same year, Mia Farrow married Mr. Previn.

Doña Manuela Sáenz de Thorne, mistress of Simón Bolívar, "The Liberator."

Today's Rune: Fertility.

Birthdays: Simón José Antonio de la Santísima Trinidad Bolívar y Palacios (Simón Bolívar), Alexandre Dumas (b. Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie), Ivan Stanislavovic Bloch, Alfons Maria Mucha, Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald, Gus Van Sant, Jennifer Lopez, Anna Helene Paquin, Élise Crombez.
Que sera, sera.

8 comments:

Danny Tagalog said...

Haha!

Yes, very interesting! It's rather presumptuous of us to castigate with only biased media assumptions being our guide.

Prudence - the song - was better by the Banshees than the Beatles; both fantastic.....

the walking man said...

See this is exactly why I use Hollywood stars as my role models in life. And let their little peccadillo's just slide right into my existence as the way things should be.

Sidney said...

That picture of her reminds me of the way she looked in "See No Evil" which came on TV when I was a kid. It's sort of like "Wait Until Dark," she's blind and stalked by a guy in cowboy boots.

Johnny Yen said...

Lots of incestuous creepiness to go around there, isn't it?

I love Paint Your Wagon! My father and I would watch it every time it was on when I was a kid (I gave him the DVD for Christmas a few years ago.). Clint Eastwood's unbelievably bad singing is part of the charm. And Miss Seberg was unbelievably beautiful.

I read an article a few years ago written by Carlos Fuentes, who told of dating Seberg and finding out that she was seeing Paint Your Wagon co-star Eastwood behind his back. Something struck me as very funny about that-- a woman who could date Carlos Fuentes and Clint Eastwood at the same time.

Charles Gramlich said...

You know, honestly, I never thought Mia farrow was remotely attractive. Too boyish, maybe? In "Rosemary's baby" I thought both her acting and appearance was lacking.

Pythia3 said...

What, no Rune today!
Hello Mr. Erik,
My, my, and I thought the times, they were a gettin' badder . . . but it seems that since the beginning of time sex has been here, there and everywhere (that it shouldn't be, according to how we have come to define it and relationships) Maybe we're an unrealistic society of hypocrites. Or, maybe our hearts do speak the truth . . . a truth that varies greatly from individual to individual.
Today is also the birthday of my son, Luke!
:) Pythia

Joe said...

Wow...a curse?! Do we see those creepy coincidences merely because we're looking for them, or are they evidence of some darker payback...who knows.

I always tell my girls, people get what they have coming to them, eventually, it's just that it might not be in a way, or place, or time, that you'll ever see it.

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks, y'all for the range of comments ;)

Danny, salute to Siouxise and the Banshees. Got to see them do this in London in 1991.

Mark, very funny, haha.

Sidney, sounds creepy. Wasn't Patti Duke in something like, too?

Johnny, indeed. I added some of this into the next post.

Charles, she's not my type at all. I find her mousy and annoying and I prefer women with curves and long hair. Can't possibly see the attraction -- but even the Devil wanted her, apparently!

Pythia, good points and Happy birthday to Luke! Back in the day, there was Bathsheeba -- a wild story, certainly.

Bubs, that makes sense to me. Today we have the Angelina and Brad experiment -- I do hope they have better luck than usual.