Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Where There's Smoke There's Fire


When my landlord gets depressed and wants to get away from the landlady, his wife, he either drinks a lot of Stroh's or tinkers around my apartment building, or both.

That's how the fire got started.

Luckily, living in urban conditions keeps me alert, always paying attention.

In the afternoon, my landlord was banging on a large pipe in the unoccupied apartment across my back hallway. He suddenly left the building. Going out to my car, I could smell exposed wood, a pleasant thing usually, dating from 1928 when the place was first built. But later that evening, the air smelled more like a hearth -- smokey more than woody.

Usually, I'd have been out on the town already, but not this time. I decided to investigate. It was coming from the basement below the unoccupied apartment. A light was on and I could see smoke streaming along the floor beams above, pouring out of a hole where the landlord had been tinkering with the large pipe.

Within a half hour, I'd banged on my upstairs neighbor's door, got him to call 911, grabbed my laptop and passport and made sure it was all under control before proceeding on my merry way.

Such is life in urban conditions.


An eerie Jean Seberg (1938-1979). She died tragically before hitting forty.


Jean Seberg: When smoke got in her eyes.


Italian model Mariacarla Boscono with Seberg 'do. Playing a ukulele by the looks of it. Burning Down the House.

Today's Rune: Journey.

6 comments:

the walking man said...

Annnnnnd? Did the place burn?

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Mark,
Police and Fire arrived in time to nip it in the bud. They had to tear up the kitchen in the empty apt. The landlord had left a soldering iron on.

My place didn't suffer, but I did get sparkling clean blinds out of it thanks to building insurance.

Charles Gramlich said...

Thank goodness I live away from people.

ZZZZZZZ said...

oh my goodness! Luckily they got to it before it spread and did real damage!

JR's Thumbprints said...

You're damn lucky on this one. Why not find a place of your own instead of renting? You could probably find a deal right now with all the foreclosures.

the walking man said...

Maybe someone should let the landlord know you don't solder with an iron on pipe but rather an open flame.

Got plenty of empty houses on my block, even if you didn't want to buy or rent Erik you could always kick in a door and squat. Got a couple of families doing that on the block now too.

Glad you weren't hurt or lost any stuff, I bet if a fire hit your book collection it would be a conflagration of 5 alarms.

Peace

mark