Thursday, January 24, 2008

1972 and 2008


In my enthusiastic support of a woman for president in 2008, I blanked out about Shirley Chisholm's campaign as a Democrat in 1972. Turns out there's a nifty documentary available in DVD format that I just ordered for the library: Shola Lynch's Chisholm '72: Unbought & Unbossed (2004). Looks good for its content about candidate Chisholm, the election process (then and now), and the context of the times -- Vietnam, Nixon-Agnew, a fractured USA, all of it. I was a kid at the time living in Durham, North Carolina, but remember viscerally the passionate engagement of my teachers. One was fresh from an Ohio school near Kent State and hopping mad at the Establishment!



For insight into dirty political deeds, this one looks good: Allen Raymond's How to Rig an Election: Confessions of a Republican Operative (2008). Certainly the last two elections had their share of them -- did Bush really win Florida in 2000 and Ohio in 2004? And if he didn't, why is he the president of the USA?


Of course, back in 1972, Shirley Chisholm didn't win the election. She didn't become the Democrats' official candidate, either. Instead, Nixon-Agnew won in a landslide. The two crooks did it again! Here's Spiro Agnew (on the right) at NASA in 1971 shaking hands with former Nazi, SS Sturmbannführer Wernher von Braun ("once the missiles go up, who cares where they come down?"). The Royal Spanish couple watches on (that's Juan Carlos Alfonso Víctor María de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias just beyond Agnew, if you didn't guess . . . now King Juan Carlos I)

So the Democrats didn't win in 1972, but Agnew and Nixon got theirs eventually . . .


Russell Crowe and Marion Cotillard from Ridley Scott's A Good Year (2006). Archie Panjabi, Albert Finney, Abbie Cornish, and most of the cast is good. The pleasures of pastoral France trump the mad business parade in London . . .

Today's Rune: Opening.

God Save the Queen
Her fascist regime!
They made you a moron
Potential H-Bomb!

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I think I'll read that "republican operative" book. sounds intriguing and frightening.

Lana Gramlich said...

The author of the GOP rigging book was on Jon Stewart not long ago. I'm not surprised about any of it, of course. If the revolution doesn't come by the time I'm 70 I may just decide to start it. ;)

Johnny Yen said...

My best friend got me the Chisolm documentary for my birthday a year or two ago, but I haven't yet got around to watching it.

Funny-- I heard the Sex Pistols song on satellite radio in my truck yesterday.

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks all for the comments!
Lana, saw that. Your quip remind me of that Kinks song, "Here Come the People in Grey" (early 70s) -- "Gonna fight me a one man [or woman ;)] revolution . . ." It's a cool song. . . Johnny, I've got to see it soon. Cheers!