Friday, January 18, 2008

Persepolis in America


Marjane Satrapi's 2007 animated film Persepolis is beginning to circulate in North America. Adapted from her 2003-2005 graphic novels, it follows a young Iranian from the last days of the Shah in the wake of the Iranian Revolution through the Iran-Iraq War toward the present. It humanizes Iranians while taking to task authoritarianism. Instant classic, up for an Academy Award.

Officially a French film, Persepolis reportedly will also feature an English-language voice over -- including the voices of Iggy Pop, Sean Penn, and Gena Rowlands. I look forward to seeing this, certainly.

Marjane Satrapi: Yes, [Iggy is] playing my uncle Anoush. I chose him myself. I was in L.A., and one morning I woke up like, "Jesus! Shit! Iggy Pop has to be the uncle! It can’t be anybody else." Because he has this deep voice, and he’s so virile, and because I love his music. It was so incredible to work with him because he was one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met in my life. He’s extremely nice, extremely gentle, and very articulate and cultivated . . . I listen to his music almost every day.

(Source: "‘Persepolis’ Creator Marjane Satrapi Loves Iggy Pop, Bruce Lee, Screwdrivers," New York Entertainent, 10/12/2007).

Strange world, huh?

Today's Rune: Fertility. Yesterday's: Protection.

6 comments:

Cup said...

I just noticed this is available via OnDemand. I've been very tempted to watch — now it's on the Must List.

the walking man said...

I'll wait for the DVD and Jimmy Carter to be re-elected president if that's ok?

Peace

mark

Charles Gramlich said...

I think Iggy is a great actor. Love his voice.

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks y'all for the comments.
Beth, cool -- here we have IFC choices (like the Joe Strummer doc.), but not this one yet.

Mark -- Jimmy Carter still gets around a lot for an aging ex-prez, doesn't he?

Charles, rock on! I forgot to thank MW, too . . .

lulu said...

I loved this book, I doubt if there will be a bootleg of the movie here given the political climate. I bet I can find one in Bangkok or Hong Kong though.

Lana Gramlich said...

Very interesting...I'll have to see if we can't find it somewhere.