Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mick Jagger at 65


Mick Jagger turned 65 today -- Happy birthday, Mick!

From childhood days, I remember grooving to "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," but it was "Sympathy for the Devil" that really hooked me. I had an AM radio alarm clock for school and was still half asleep when I first heard Mick and The Rolling Stones driving through that wicked guitar riff with eerie ferocity, the wild frontman himself singing, "Pleased to meet you, have you guessed my NAME?"


So I finally got an LP with "Sympathy for the Devil" on it. Turned out to be an import, although I didn't have a clue at the time. An eclectic mix, it also had "Gimme Shelter," which, like "Sympathy," blew my mind first time -- and it still does. (Patti Smith covered it during the extended goodbye for CBGB/OMFUG in October 2006. Perfect choice.)

I attentively began following Mick and the Stones when Some Girls (1978) came out -- loved their ribaldness, their rawness, even as I simultaneously got into punk music. The controversy swirling around the Stones and punk was part of the allure. It all fired up my teenaged heart!


In 1981, I very luckily got to see the beginning (Philadelphia) and the end (Hampton, Virginia) of the big North American Tattoo You tour for free -- experiences worth their own posts at some point, I suspect.

"God Gave Me Everything" (Jagger/Kravitz, Goddess in the Doorway, 2001) pretty much says it all for Sir Mick. He's the consummate white showman of blues and rock. Damn the torpedoes, I salute him!

In the pipeline: Martin Scorsese's Shine a Light (2008).

Today's Rune: Defense. Mad Men Season II begins tomorrow night, 10 p.m. Detroit time.

8 comments:

the walking man said...

29 years ago (7/26/79) was the last stadium show I ever saw Erik. Santana opened for The Stones in Oakland CA @ the Oakland Coliseum.

Traded a Swiss Army knife for a dime bag of pot, two hits of skleener and a ticket.

Sidney said...

The Stones, can't believe they're still standing but they're great!

Charles Gramlich said...

I've definitely got a soft spot for the Stones. "Sympathy for the devil" is probaly my favorite of their works, but they've got a lot of good stuff.

Lana Gramlich said...

The Stones aren't my favorite, but they do have some pretty kick ass classics. I can't believe the Mickster's 65, but then again, to look at the Floyd boys lately, you'd almost wonder what the hell's happened to them! Time sure freaking flies, as they were so eager to point out on DSOTM!

JR's Thumbprints said...

My mother-in-law and I were discussing MJ not long ago. She thinks his rock-n-roll environment will surely shorten his life. I, on the other hand, think he's fit as a fiddle and will live much much longer. Rock on dude!

lulu said...

I really wish that I had had the chance to see the Stones when they were younger.

For various sentimental reasons, Wild Horses is my favorite Stones song.

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks y'all for the comments!

WM/Mark -- I saw the Stones at Greensboro and Hampton and '78 and last time ca. '97 at the Palace, which was the last giant venue I've been to (I like smaller ones, and pick very carefully and rarely these days).

Jim, he seems pretty fit, indeed. Compare with The Ramones!

Again, thanks all!

Cheers!

Johnny Yen said...

I remember in college, when my new Rolling Stone arrived on day in 1983 and had an article about Mick at 40. I was so astonished to realize that he was 40. I thought that was really old. Now, as I myself approach 50, I don't think of it as so old.