Friday, November 07, 2008

We Could Be Heroes


Life in a flash. Last post took place in 1971. This one takes place in 1981 in Berlin. Checkpoint Charlie, Berlin, East and West. The former checkpoint reminded me of Mexico rather than the "Evil Empire;" the latter was more like Vegas or Atlantic City with all its neon. But I met East German guide Anita Kretschmar, Meissenware artiste, in Dresden and East Berlin, and that made up for everything. I finally understood the perfection and brilliance of Iggy Pop in Berlin, and the full meaning of David Bowie's "Heroes." I wore a beard then, for some reason.

Today's Rune: Protection.

4 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

Interesting: what divides us & brings us together.

Johnny Yen said...

I love "Heroes" and the story behind it (while recording the album, they saw a couple that had lunch together every day).

I was working on a paper for my English 101 class today. We had to read three essays on globalization and write a paper based synthesizing from those. One of the essays I read pointed out that during the Cold War the term "The Wall" had a universally understood meaning. It's strange that increasingly that meaning is fading away.

Anonymous said...

I have a piece of the wall to remind me of what it represents and to not get complacent about how fragile freedon can be.

Charles Gramlich said...

Erik with a beard. LOL. I'd like to see pics. I'm imagining you looking rather student Marxist.