Saturday, December 20, 2008

Clint Eastwood is Still Very Much Kicking: Gran Torino



















Hey, man, Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino is gonna be relevant and interesting and most importantly, it's set in Detroit and environs, from Warren to Royal Oak to Grosse Pointe. Filming transgressed earlier this year, but not by many months considering its quick release.

Clint plays Walt Kowalski, retired Ford worker and Korean War vet, a man having to deal with changes, including a "sudden impact" awareness of his Hmong neighbors. The pretext seems simple, with a basic plot line and primal character development, but I'm happy to give Clint his due. Along with (who may seem bizarrely paired) Woody Allen, Clint is one of the few living directors and actors I really respect as a national cultural icon and as a real fellow human being.

As for me -- and as far as ethnic groups go -- I've taught Hmong students at Macomb, as well as Iraqis of various types including Chaldeans, and just about every variety in between. It's mostly for that reason that I tend to respect all, or try to unless there's a reason not to, and to privilege no particular group if I can help it.

Viva Clint Eastwood!










Here's a shot of Americana along old Route 66, earlier this year.

Today's Rune: Movement.

7 comments:

the walking man said...

I loved my Ford Torino.

I'll probably like this movie too...in about 6 months when it comes out on disc. I have to agree with your assessment of Eastwood and his status among American film makers.

Sidney said...

Saw the preview of this but didn't realize it was supposed to be Detroit. Interesting. Looks like it will be a good Eastwood vehicle. ;-)

Joe said...

I've not had much contact with Hmong. Some cops I know in north central Wisconsin (around Wausau) had their hands full back in the late 80's/early 90's when a lot of them were resettled there in a short period. My impression was they seemed more insular than most immigrant groups.

Charles Gramlich said...

This movie looks really good. I'm almost sorry the Saints beat the Lions today. Gives the Lions the worst season "ever"! wow. and I though the Saints would always be at the bottom of the heap.

jodi said...

Starsky rollin' over the top of the red Torino was the best. Yes, to all movies in the making here.

Lana Gramlich said...

This looks like an interesting movie & seems to have a "Dirty Harry" kind of feel to it. Looking forward to this. It certainly CAN'T disappoint as much as the latest Indiana Jones installment!

Johnny Yen said...

I'm looking forward to this one. I haven't been crazy about the last couple of Eastwood's movies.

My aunt's early-seventies boyfriend had a Gran Torino, which he babied.