Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Walls Close in and I Need Some Noise

















RIP, Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton (1948-2009), born and died in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He wanted to bop 'til he dropped and he did. The Stooges were so against the grain when they came out! Now they seem like a perfect fit for the modern world. Ahead of their time, is all . . . As Michigan goes, so goes the world, sooner or later . . .



















Thanks to both Johnny Yen and Evan for breaking the news . . .

And for any fan of The Stooges, or of any kind of real cool time hard stuff: if you haven't heard them, I recommend the expanded remixes with bonus tracks of The Stooges and Funhouse. If you like, proceed from there . . . Post forthcoming, no doubt. Similarly, I was happy to receive for Christmas the expanded version of The Doors' Morrison Hotel / Hard Rock Cafe (lots of delightful Jim Morrison antics . . . "The future's uncertain and the end is always near," indeed.)

Today's Rune: Possessions.

7 comments:

the walking man said...

It took me awhile to come to my appreciation of The Stooges but the more I listen i have to give them credit as the American fathers of Punk.

That opening bang of Ashetons in 1969...just so garage and awesome.

Well at the least they found their spot in the past few years. Maybe this is finally the Stooges year in Cleveland eh?

Anonymous said...

Asheton's powerful, distorted guitar on songs like "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and "T.V. Eye" was a hallmark of the group's sound. His "technically adept but also beautifully raw" style was heavily influenced by free jazz and created "beauty out of noise," said Brian Cogan, a punk-music historian at Molloy College on New York's Long Island.

---

JR's Thumbprints said...

I must be set in my ways. Here you are talking about remixes when I'm downloading all my cassette tapes to the computer and converting to mp3 files. How's that for remixes? Or am I being a Stooge?

Johnny Yen said...

Funny you should mention the Doors; rumor had it that the surviving Doors wanted to bring Iggy in as a replacement when Morrison departed.

You are so right; the Stooges still sound great. They've aged well, and influenced so many.

jodi said...

I am more of a Morrison fan, but my son has taught me some appreciation of the Stooges. We sing "I want to be you dog" to pooch, Mickey.

Anonymous said...

Eventually "we will fall" - all of us. RIP, Rock Action.

JC

Pythia3 said...

Happy 2009 to you too, Erik! I am going to really trrrrrryyyyy to get on here more often - but I have been here, there and everywhere the past year and a half . . . been writing my own stuff . . . and I am back in school for video production, etc.
"I vant to be a daiiirector, dolling." lol.
Hope you are well - thanks for checking in on me :)
Lindy