Sunday, March 01, 2009

Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness


Well, I read the text of Limbaugh's CPAC address. He's all for the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, he says. Loud cheers from the audience. He's all for the USA. More cheers.

President Obama stands for certain things. I don't care, he could be a Martian. He could be from Michigan, I don't know -- just kidding. Doesn't matter to me what his race is. It doesn't matter. He's liberal is what matters to me. And his articulated -- his articulated plans scare me. Now, I understand we can't say we want the President to fail, Mr. Limbaugh. That's like saying -- this is the voice of the New Castrati, by the way, guys who have lost their guts. You can't say Mr. Limbaugh that you want the President to fail because that's like saying you want the country to fail. It's the opposite. I want the country to survive. I want the country to succeed. [Cheers and Applause]

[Crowd Chanting "USA" ] I want the country to survive as we have known it, as you and I were raised in it, is what I mean. Now, I have been called -- and I can take it. Pioneers take the arrows, I don't mind what anybody says about me, any time ever. I don't have time for it. I don't give other people the power to offend me. And you shouldn't either, by the wasted time being offended. [Applause]

Ah, the crux of the matter for this $30 million/year windbag with some fourteen million per day listeners is this: "I want the country to survive as we have known it, as you and I were raised in it, is what I mean."

The entire speech rambles all over the place, uses childish terms like "Drive-By Media" and "Democrat party," but Limbaugh's basic premise is built on quicksand, or limited to older conservatives -- because the country that Limbaugh was raised in was a segregated society, but the country I was raised in is an integrated one, and that segregated society will continue to recede into the past.

Implicitly, what this douchebag millionaire really wants is to go back to the days of the late 1700s when
1) slavery was legal and widely practiced in the USA;
2) only white men of property (and not one single woman) could vote;
3) an abundance of tribal lands remained to be overrun, plundered, and doled out to white settlers.

This, I believe, is what Rush and many of his moronic minions romanticize as the Golden Years of Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness. There's an organization for people of this backward-looking ilk. It's called the Ku Klux Klan.

p.s. I know a few Limbaugh fans and will give a brief profile soon. Thanks, you all, for your comments, some of which inspired this follow up.

Today's Rune: Defense.

7 comments:

the walking man said...

I understand there is a movie being made. A bio-pic of Mr. Limbaugh's life. The working title is:
"Scumdog Millionaire"

...and that's all I have to say about that.

Sidney said...

Above all Limbaugh is a showman, doing what benefits him the most and his show the most. He wins even if the country loses. As my wife noted, he's not a man of conscience.

Anonymous said...

Unlike Obama, Rush doesn't need a teleprompter because all of his principles come from his heart, whereas Obama's come from his skin.--The Great Communicator

Joe said...

Sidney said what I was going to say. I'm amazed to see Limbaugh elevated to the role of philosopher king of the GOP, when he is actually a huckster.

Having listened to him since 1991 I've gotten the impression that, over the past 5 years or so (maybe since his sobriety) he's begun to really take himself seriously as a political thinker.

JR's Thumbprints said...

What do you expect from Rush Limbaugh? He's a drug addict.

lulu said...

"douchebag millionaire" is the name of my new band.

JEFF BONDAR said...

Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness.