Saturday, April 11, 2009

Gore Vidal: An American Voltaire



Did you happen to catch Gore Vidal on HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher, following Ron Howard? Mr. Maher asked questions and engaged Mr. Vidal more in the spirit of Tavis Smiley and Charlie Rose than as comedian, resulting in a pithy, interesting exchange.

Always glad to see such things, a certain long range continuity in a sea of change, like a great ship heading straight through rough waters. A salute to Bill Maher (and HBO) for the interview, and to Gore Vidal, an American Voltaire, for doing his thing.

Today's Rune: The Mystery Rune.

6 comments:

the walking man said...

Too cheap to purchase HBO ask the question again in a year when it's on A&E ;-)

Anonymous said...

I HAVE A FEELING THAT WALKING MAN AND GORE VIDAL WOULD GET ALONG QUITE WELL AND HAVE SOME VIBRANT CONVERSATIONS.

Joe said...

I always enjoy reading/hearing an interview with Gore Vidal.

Charles Gramlich said...

I don't get any of the movie channels these days. I watch the few I want to watch on PPV. Although judging from my choices this weekend I don't even like those very much.

Sidney said...

We dropped HBO a while back. I do miss Bill M. on Friday nights. Used to fill The Daily Show's void.

nunya said...

I saw that here. Well worth the watch :)