Saturday, May 23, 2009

Notes from Underground with Little Steven


I love Little Steven's Underground! It's got all sorts of gems, and tons of music I actually recognize, the real garage sound, rough rock, and an occasional Sinatra track thrown in honor of Paulie Walnuts Gualtieri (Tony Sirico) from The Sopranos, or just for kicks. Little Steven is, for those who've not seen the HBO series, superb as Silvio Dante. And the real Steven Van Zandt's enthusiasm and knowledge of the craft seems boundless; certainly it's infectious.

Here's a link: http://www.littlestevensundergroundgarage.com/

Yesterday while driving, lisetening to the Underground Garage, I smiled when the DJ proclaimed this: "If you were born between 1960 and 1980, you are a member of Generation X." Good! I've never considered myself a Baby Boomer, certainly. In reality, I'm neither -- more a borderliner between the two. How about y'all? Are the generation labels worth a lick of salt? They can't be worth their weight in gold, that's for sure. Do you walk with pride in lockstep with your cohort? And then there's the Great Depression kids, the Lost Generation, the Beat Generation, the Blank Generation, the Me Generation, and now, Obama's Kids . . .

Whatever the case, Little Steven's Underground Garage is inspired -- and inspiring.

Today's Rune: Journey.

7 comments:

Johnny Yen said...

As I write this, I've got the Lovin' Spoonful's "Summer In The City" playing in the background on Andrew Loog Oldham's show on Little Steven's Underground Garage!

I'm pretty certain that you were born in 1961, the same year as I was. I've read that we are "'tweeners;" people who qualify as both Baby Boomers (born between the end of World War II and the Beatles' 1964 performance on the Ed Sullivan show) and Generation X, 1960 to 1980.

I think that we Gen Xers define ourselves by music maybe more than any other generation. I find that a lot of us hold on to our musical identities well after "real life" adulthood grabs us by the collars. I think that having the nation turn so far to the right just as we got to voting age was a surreal and defining experience. It's tempered us. We're listening to people whining about how Obama is not doing exactly everything they wanted right away and saying "Hey-- things were a lot worse. Be patient."

The Underground Garage is amazing. I can't think of any other station that plays the full gamut of rock and roll. In an hour, you might hear Little Walter, John Lee Hooker, Roy Orbison, Wanda Jackson, the Everly Brothers, Bob Dylan, the Cocktail Slippers, Ko and the Knockouts, the Rolling Stones, Joan Jett, Jessie Malin, Neil Diamond, the Jesus and Mary Chain, the Jefferson Airplane and Dick Dale-- to name a few. While everybody else narrows their format down, the Underground Garage is a veritable musical smorgasbord. They've made me love radio-- at least satellite radio-- again.

Sidney said...

I'll have to check that out. Loved him on The Sopranos and in the E-Street Band.

nunya said...

No. The generation labels are just some more marketing crap.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've listened to this a fair amount. He gets some wild stuff but a lot of it is pretty interesting.

the walking man said...

If we quantify which generation one belongs to by the music they listen to then I am a Renaissance man and everything up to an Obama kid.

If we quantify the generational distinction by how one feels inside, thinks about and lives life as...unless there is a generation nothing, I don't belong anywhere on the time line. I prefer it that way.

Adorably Dead said...

The man even plays Spinal Tap, I love it!

I don't even know what generation I am. I was born in 1985.

jodi said...

Eric, I like to think of myself as too original to be classified. Or maybe the word is unique? I saw Bruce on his "Ghost of Tom Joad" tour when he went solo. So, no Stevie. However, I had a friend who dated him and traveled the world with him. Big news for a small town girl!!