Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Star Trek


The first Star Trek episode I remember seeing as a kid in real time was "Who Mourns for Adonis?" (either in 1967 or 1968). I was hooked. Not much of a comics fan, at the time and instead I already loved bizarre and campy TV shows ranging from Twilight Zone, One Step Beyond, Outer Limits, Batman, Dark Shadows, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, My Favorite Martian, Lost in Space, Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel, the nightly national news with VC body counts, and just about anything else put before me. My family moved in the middle of all this, from Pennsylvania to Chicago to St. Paul, Minnesota, to Durham, North Carolina.

I never really kept up with all the Star Trek spin offs (unlike my sister Linda and brother Jamie), but the original, I saw every episode by the end of the 1970s, in North Carolina by the time I graduated high school (as did several of my closest friends).

The characters in Star Trek are all appealing, likable, the stories varied and thought-provoking. These are enduring, and I've kept a fond place for them in my mind and heart all these years. And so, though it may not be tomorrow or the day after, I do intend to see the new movie, which looks promising as a "reboot" of the original series; in fact, a prequel to it. Like the James Bond theme, Star Trek terminology like "warp speed," "Full power to the shields," "beam me aboard, Scotty," "arm photon torpedoes" and "phasers" are in my blood. You betcha.

How about y'all in the blogosphere? Any favorite episodes, characters, or themes? I honestly like all the original characters and play no favorites -- it's still a great ensemble with excellent chemistry.

Today's Rune: Partnership.

8 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

My favorite episode was Mirror Mirror. But I essentially liked all of them. I wasn't the biggest fan of the humorous episodes, like Trouble with Tribbles, although I loved the idea of Scotty beaming them onto the Klingon ship.

the walking man said...

I think I may need to get out more...naaw

Anonymous said...

I LOVED STAR TREK MYSELF. ONE OF MY FAVORITES IS WHEN KIRK WAS A WOMAN. HE REALLY DID A TERRIFIC JOB OF ACTING. AND REMEMBER WHEN SPOCK WAS IN HEAT. WOW. NOW IF WE COULD REALLY TELA TRANSPORT.... BEAM ME UP SCOTTY.

jodi said...

Eric, I've never been remotely close to being a fan, but Capt. Kirk was mos def a hottie! Also loved the cool outfits that the girls got to wear. There seemed to always be an undercurrent through all that seriousness with the characters that could have let loose at any time!

Anonymous said...

That's "Turnabout Intruder", Mr. Shatner. And "Amok Time" of course. Spock me!

Adorably Dead said...

I love Star Trek. I remember watching it as a little kid with my dad whenever I went to visit on the weekends.

My favorite of the series though was always the next gen. and deep space 9. Quark is hilarious and I have a thing for Brent Spiner.....not as big as the thing I have for Spock though.

Johnny Yen said...

I remember all of those shows-- Time Tunnel and The Outer Limits were particular favorites.

Two old trekkie friends of mine had given the new one rave reviews. I'm taking my son, who's grown to love the Next Generation series through reruns to see it next weekend.

Rocket_Scientist said...

the first episode i remember seeing is "the corbomite maneuver" guest starring the ever talentless clint howard. as for my favortie episode, it had to be the one where kirk scores with the alien babe. oh wait...that would mean i love EVERY episode...