Friday, October 23, 2009

Soupy Says Farewell


RIP, Soupy Sales (1/8/1926-10/22/2009)! Some fun Soupy facts:

Pre-Soupy name, Milton Supman.

Same birthday (different year) as Elvis Presley, Graham Chapman of Monty Python, and David Bowie.

Born in the small town of Franklinton, North Carolina. His family, the only Jewish one in town.

Joined the US Navy during the Second World War.

Made it big in Detroit in the 1950s, and went on from there.

Soupy's sons, Hunt Sales and Tony Sales, have recorded and toured with David Bowie and Iggy Pop.

Goofy humor, but funny, reminding me that when I was a little kid, I especially loved imitating his slightly older contemporary Milton Berle (1908-2002).

Today's Rune: Protection.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my parents not letting me watch his show, because of some sort of stunt where he had been on the air telling kids to send him cash through the mail. Sounds to me now like an edgy joke aimed at older people, but my parents took it seriously - I never saw his show even once, that I recall. Captain Kangaroo was OK though.

-JC

the walking man said...

"Kids you go into mommy's purse and pull out all the green paper you can find and send it to Soupy."


Pee Wee's playhouse on Steroids and LSD. Great show to get home from school and the nuns to deprogram me from that days indoctrination.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Interesting fact regarding his sons and David Bowie. Where did you ever find that out?

jodi said...

Erik, Thanks for all the fun facts on the Soupster. I remember him in a game show. Maybe "Hollywood Squares?" R.I.P.

Lana Gramlich said...

Gads, he was a loon, wasn't he? Loved him as a kid, though.

Charles Gramlich said...

Yes, I was sorry to hear of his passing.

Johnny Yen said...

Soupy's sons, Hunt and Tony, played bass and drums on my signature song, "Lust For Life." ("Here comes Johnny Yen again/With liquor and drugs..")

Little Steven recorded a little biography of Soupy on his show that they play on his show a lot. Apparently, Soupy is considered the first rock deejay.

Distributorcap said...

watched the show every day - but i am sure i didnt send him money

(that stunt is still remembered)