Monday, November 30, 2009

Amsterdam: More Cowbell at the Melkweg













Here's a night shot I took at the Melkweg in Amsterdam, summer 1983. This cultural center opened in 1970 and is still going strong in 2009. Back in '83, I saw plenty of live music and a Janis Joplin film, packed with people. Sort of like an elaborate version of the Majestic Complex (including the Magic Stick) in Detroit, it's located not far from the International Youth Hostel at Lijnbaansgracht 234. Here's a link to the Melkweg ("The Milky Way") website: http://www.melkweg.nl/ I stayed at a different hostel over the noisy Texas Lone Star Saloon for $3 per night, which is not to be recommended for those who prefer more luxurious lodgings.













In 1983, evidence of Pink Floyd abounded in every milk bar, coffee house or real bar I ever checked out. Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii (1972) was flashing on multiple screens, particularly "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun." Cafés served all sorts of concoctions with the word "Space" in their names. Above is the COW album cover of Atom Heart Mother (1970) which I first came across in my sister Linda's record collection soon after it came out. The one that stuck out to me as a kid was "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast," sizzling on the grill.




"Under the Milky Way" (1988) by The Church was inspired by the Melkweg. Amsterdam is very colorful at night. Can you dig?


Today's Rune: Strength.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I kind of like that song. I don't think I've ever heard it before.

jodi said...

Erik, I can't believe how much you have travelled! I want to visit all the Scandanavian countries someday, including Amsterdam. I remember that song and I think it's been redone. To addled to think of by who, tho.

nunya said...

I have one of theirs, I like the Church