Sunday, March 07, 2010

L’esprit de l’escalier













Multitasking here during the annual Academy Awards, which I've regularly watched since a kid -- a lesson in continuity, I guess. Glad to see The Hurt Locker has already won four awards. And that Jeff Bridges won, yeahdawg!

Meanwhile, if you ever get to Philly, be sure to check out Marcel Duchamps' stick-in-the-head memorable Nu descendant un escalier n° 2 / Nude Descending a Staircase No. 2 (yes, there's a lesser known No. 1) at the wonderful, beautiful and culturally rich Philadelphia Museum of Art (the stairs where Rocky ran up in triumph way back when).

OK, if I'm to get this off just around midnight, Kathryn Bigelow won for best director (first American woman ever), Sandra Bullock (who has grown on me over the years as she's gotten more relaxed and real) for best actress, and just now The Hurt Locker! for best film . . .

Today's Rune: Fertility.

6 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

That painting will always remind me of my childhood dentist, who had a large print of it on the wall in his office. To distract myself from the dental work, I often looked at it.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Good choices but a dull show. No way to improve it-the opening number was a real miss though.
Love that painting. Haven't been there in years but saw THE BARNES COLLECTION two years ago. A real knockout.

Charles Gramlich said...

That is my absolute favorite abstract. Just something so gorgeous about it.

jodi said...

Erik, I used to watch just to get a glamour dose, but now I just wait for the recaps. Haven't seen most of the movies yet! However, I WILL run the Rocky stairs someday....

Johnny Yen said...

I swore I wouldn't watch them this year, but we had them on at work. Thanks to the awards, we were dead so I did homework and scored my Oscar sheet-- picked 4 of the 5 major awards correctly; changed the supporting actor at the last minute from the "Inglorious" guy to Plummer-- thought they'd give him the "we should have given you one of these ages ago" award, but they didn't.

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks all for the comments -- Lana and Charles, right on! Patti, love that Barnes Collection -- way out there -- Jodi and Johnny, uber' (poor Plummer will probably get one of those lifetime achievement awards near or after death . . .) Plummer is perfect as the Duke of Wellington in Waterloo.