Sunday, March 28, 2010

Qahhwat al-bun: The Wine of the Bean













Coffee, tea, sugar, milk: each element its own history, its own trajectory, but sometimes interwined. Who would have guessed there'd be a Coffee Party USA to challenge the Tea Party "Patriots"? Both are growing in numbers -- already nearly a half a million people between the two.

I've always preferred coffee to tea. How about you? The English used to drink tea because it was a palpable part of the British Empire, including the means of production -- tea, spices and sugar -- from India to the West Indies.

Today's Rune: Signals.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Tea. I figured my husband drank enough coffee for both of us.

Johnny Yen said...

Both-- I drink tea all day, and then 3 or 4 cups in the early evening. Probably why I need 2 or 3 glasses of red wine to fall asleep at night.