Monday, May 10, 2010

Something Good: High-Speed Rail















The petroleum disaster or Seaborne Toxic Event in the Gulf of Mexico continues unabated. I wonder if more people would pay attention if we had 24/7 TV and radio shows about it with names like Dancing With the Oil Spill, Celebrity Oil Spill, You're An Oil Spill!  or Lost in the Spill?  24/7 on all channels until it's dealt with, cleaned up, and we're all on board for a more rationally planned for future?

The Obama Administration, at least, is making attempts at longterm planning. I heartily support one such plan: the "Vision for High-Speed Rail in America."  High-speed rail exists in the Northeast Corridor, but fairly soon we can have access to better, faster service from North Carolina to New Orleans, for instance, and from Detroit to Chicago, and from Dallas-Fort Worth to San Antonio via Austin. The West Coast and Florida will get it, too.  This is common sense: preparing for alternatives to higher gas prices, higher costs of flying and driving. Alternatives. Proactive planning -- can you imagine, in the USA?  All aboard!

Today's Rune: Defense.

4 comments:

Johnny Yen said...

I know I've mentioned this before, but it's completely absurd to me that I cannot go from Chicago to Knoxville, where my parents live, by rail at any speed. We need to develop our rail system.

When I was in Shanghai in 2002, they were still building the high speed Maglev train from the airport to downtown Shanghai. It's in operation now. Maybe next time I'm in Shanghai...

the walking man said...

Hey it's only 255,000 barrels per day. What harm can that do? Just live Prince William Sound twenty years later it will be as clean as a babies used diaper.

Charles Gramlich said...

the problem is it's Real "reality TV" and doesn't have ignorent folks in it getting drunk and obnoxious.

jodi said...

Erik, among other things, I am concerned for the oil spill making it to my beloved Keys. Would love to take the train!