Sunday, June 13, 2010

The West Indies/Caribbean













The West Indies/Caribbean region, a microcosm of global rivalry glimpsed through archaeological layers, modern diversity and cultural syncretism, supports a population that barely exceeds Canada's. It is in between, sort of part of North America and sort of not; partly Latin America and partly not.

A big thanks to Jim Hampton for suggesting this region. I have been to Puerto Rico and several of the islands, barely skimming the surface but catching some understanding of historical context and global economics.

Places to go, see, stay?  Of course, I do wish to explore Cuba.  And a return to Martinique, home of Angelique Bouchard Collins, is in order.  But just about anywhere in the Caribbean holds a certain fascination, including Puerto Rico. 













Really interesting stuff relating strongly to the Caribbean: Sidney W. Mintz, Sweetness and Power: The Place of Sugar in Modern History (1985, 1986+). 

Today's Rune: Initiation.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I just read up on the Cuba of Hemingway's time for a project I'm working on. Fascinating place.

Anonymous said...

THE BEST SPICE DRINK I EVER HAD WAS FROM SABA. THE MOST FUN I HAD WAS ON ST. THOMAS WITH A BUNCH OF WONDERFUL PEOPLE, GROWNUPS PLAYING LIKE CHILDREN. THE NICEST VISIT I HAD WAS WITH OUR DAUGHTER ON ST. EUSTACIUS AND TO SEE THE REMANANTS OF THE SUGAR MILLS THERE. AH THE CARRIBEAN ISANDS, STEEL DRUMS, GOOD FOOD, LAID BACK PEOPLE, THE WATER AND THE SUN. WHO COULD ASK FOR MORE.

jodi said...

Erik, I have a friend from Cuba who promises me a vaycay there soon! Can't wait....