Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Night Owls and Early Birds













Night owl or early bird? My "natural state" makes me a night owl, but my Marxian reality is more of a mixed bag: because early birds must have created the typical work schedule quite a little while ago. A farmer's schedule in the electric age. I'm flexible (of course) by necessity (also of course). I find irksome, however, those early birds who chirp, "Rise and shine! Day's a-wasting!" Mercifully, there is coffee -- and more coffee.  There are also day dreams as well as nightmares.













If I were put on trial a la Kafka and had to explain my living preferences, what would be my defense? I would lay out my preference for some variety in sleeping/waking schedule, with six to nine hours of sleep when possible, and nothing urgently important scheduled first thing in the daylit morning ever. Why? Because, like Bartleby the Scrivener, I prefer not to deal with such "daymares" until fully awake. How about you?

At top: Orson Welles' Chimes at Midnight / Campanadas a medianoche (1965), insanely not yet available in the USA 45 years later! With Jeanne Moreau and Fernando Rey, bring it on over, please . . . Wake me up when it gets here . . . And let's not forget Woody Allen's newest project, Midnight in Paris. 

Today's Rune: Signals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON. I GO TO BED LATE, SLEEP IN THE MORNING AS LONG AS I CAN. HOWEVER MY MATE IS AN EARLY BIRD BUT TAKES AFTERNOON NAPS. WHATEVER WORKS FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL IS PURE CHOICE WHEN ONE IS RETIRED.

jodi said...

Erik, totally a early bird. I love the quiet, peaceful time before things get too cluttered up! And the coffee....ah, the coffee!