Friday, August 13, 2010

København: Fristaden Christiania




















Another alternative community, very interesting to check out: Copenhagen, Denmark's Freetown Christiania. Situated on a former military site, nearly 1,000 people live there. If you're into pot, it's there. If you're into art and music, it's there. It's everywhere. In fact, all of Copenhagen, all of Denmark is nifty-fifty. Indeed, all the Nordic/Scandanavian countries are culturally sophisticated, ecologically minded and highly educated. 

You might say that Existentialism started in Copenhagen with Søren Kierkegaard (1813-1855), whose spirit roams the city.

Above: Peter Fallesen & Sulaima Hind,  Fristaden Christiania / Freetown Christiania (2008).

Today's Rune: Joy.   

4 comments:

Sidney said...

It's a wide world. Nice to see and get a different perspective.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I could really get into a commune as long as it allowed nuclear families.

jodi said...

Erik, being that I'm of Scandanavian descent, I am planning to vistit there, and check out this whole scene. For sure! My son loves this liberal lifestyle and is going to try to hitch with me!

t said...

I've heard a native lament that you can't save/get rich there. (Taxes, equality, high costs.) I guess that's sort off the point. Then again she's back after a stint in America (Texas!) so maybe Norway's not so bad after all.