Friday, September 03, 2010

Signifying Mary Johnson: Barrel House Flat Blues



















Still in the rapture of the deep of the musical blues, keeping me as happy as a clam. Two things are emerging just from transcribing the lyrics:

1) Each song is like a time capsule.

2) None of these songs were created in a vaccuum, but rather each plays off other songs -- most include a direct or coded reference to at least one previous song, usually performed by a different artist or band.

Stumbled upon the very cool Signifying Mary Johnson (Mary Smith Johnson, 1900-1970), a terrific -- and strange and apparently not widely appreciated in 2010 -- St. Louis blues singer.  "Barrel House Flat Blues" was recorded in 1929, during Prohibition and shortly after the Great Crash, on the Paramount Records label in Grafton, Wisconsin.  Her vocal style is eccentric, almost mumbling at times, but here for now is my take on what she's singing. Terrific backing band, as well -- more on that at some point, I suspect.  

"Barrel House Flat Blues" by Mary Johnson

I got a barrel house flat in Detroit
And one in St. Louis, too
I got a barrel house flat in Detroit
And one in St. Louis, too
But my barrel house flat in Detroit
Really gets more due.

I'm going to build me a barrel house flat
Way out on Dago Hill*
I'm going to build me a barrel house flat
Way out on Dago Hill
That way I can get my beer and whiskey
Get it fresh from the still.

Police in Chicago, just won't let me be
They try to find my beer and whiskey everywhere I hide it!

I got a barrel house flat in Chicago
It's fifteen stories high
I got a barrel house flat in Chicago
It's fifteen stories high
I get all of these high yellows
And crazy babies dry.

Those babies like my good whiskey
And they drink my cherry wine
Those babies like my good whiskey
And they drink my cherry wine
And if you women want a good time
Drop by this barrel house flat of mine.

Today's Rune: Wholeness.  *Italian area of St. Louis now known as "The Hill."   

No comments: