Sunday, January 23, 2011

Semiotics: From Pattern to Patter













Only one letter separates pattern from patter, only three brings you to chatter. Of the three words, patter is pure trickery.

Above, you've got a graph via Google Ngram Reader of relative book-recorded instances of word usage: hipcat, hepcat, hipster and beatnik. Hipster spiked around 1959, beatnik in the 1960s. Both have made comebacks. I've always liked the word "hepcat," a compound word building on the band term hep that itself goes back at least more than a century.  Flipping through a book of correspondence between Kerouac and Ginsberg, I noticed the former's use of the word hipcat while in Mexico to see William S. Burroughs.  This is rarer. So words are also mustard seeds. Some are luckier than others.

4 comments:

the walking man said...

Very possible that (even though not a big Ginsburg fan) Kerouac felt that to call Burroughs a hip, hep or hop cat of any kind would set the crazy bastard off on a game of William Tell.

Charles Gramlich said...

So weird in that Lana and I were watching "Naked LUnch" last night, and in the end we have the William Tell scene.

jodi said...

Erik, my jazz buddies say, 'Hepcat' as if it's one word! I just say, Lola...

Adorably Dead said...

I too prefer hepcat. Mainly because I think it sounds funny.