Thursday, January 13, 2011

Snow













How do you feel about snow? Growing up, I remember absorbing folklore about how Inuit (aka also known as Eskimo) languages had thirty-two different words for snow. A nifty idea, except that it's probably no more true than saying in English, this is a wet heavy snow or this is a fine powdery snow.

I don't remember snow being a big deal until I moved with my family from Pennsylvania to Illinois, just outside of Chicago. There we had brutal encounters with cold, wind-driven snow blasts. Same was true when we moved to Saint Paul, Minnesota. Living in North Carolina and Virginia, the snow experience was more sporadic -- usually one or two good snows, enough to close school and enough to know late winter was upon us. Heavy snows came down when I was living in Philadelphia and Detroit (including the year of the infamous "Polar Pig"), and twice so far in Texas (enough to close the schools down and knock out power).

Bottom line: I like snow, but not when having to dig out of it, scrape ice off a car and dodge other drivers as their vehicles spin out of control. Combined with ice it's far worse. This year, I'm glad to have a respite from all that. How about in your neck of the woods?

Today's Rune: Signals.

4 comments:

jodi said...

Erik, as an 'up north' girl, you can imagine that I am used to snow. Playin' in it, cleaning off a car, skiing, driving and all other things! Now car starter keeps me warm and the escape to the keys warm my bones!

Adorably Dead said...

I like snow, I really do, it's easier to keep mascara and other make up from getting messed up when you don't have to worry about sweating and don't have water proof things. I hate blizzards and like 15 feet of snow. My siblings don't understand, but that is because they do not have bills or jobs and love the time off from school.

I also like slightly chilly weather, not this very windy, frigid stuff we've been getting lately.

Charles Gramlich said...

I always enjoyed snow until I got old enough to drive in it. Now, living in Louisiana, I miss it a bit.

the walking man said...

Snow sucks but not as bad as a tornado. it's the cold I loathe. Now if they would just make it snow in July when it's 90 out then it would only blow and not suck.