Friday, February 18, 2011

Detroit: The Heidelberg Project



















Tyree Guyton has kept the Heidelberg Project going since 1986. It has survived two partial demolitions ordered by city government and now abides, with local and international visitors walking the grounds throughout the year. I've been there many many times and have chatted with Tyree, who seems like a very cool guy. An upcoming episode of Detroit 187 will include the Heidelberg as backdrop.

Along with Baker's Keyboard Lounge, the Heidelberg Project is one of Detroit's greatest living cultural treasures. More about the philosphy and setting at some point, no doubt. 

Here's a link to the website: http://www.heidelberg.org/

Today's Rune: Wholeness.  

3 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

The Heidelberg Project just keeps getting better. I used a description of it in one of my stories over ten years ago. Time certainly flys. I'll have to catch the next episode of Detroit 187; I'll admit, I haven't watched an episode yet.

jodi said...

Erik, I too, love the Heidelberg and it's peaceable creator. Will be sure to watch for it on the telly. Thank's for the heads up!

Lana Gramlich said...

That's really cool. Thanks for the link!