Saturday, April 23, 2011

Luella Miller: Tornado Groan, 1927 (Revisited)





"Tornado Groan" by Luella Miller (1927)

Tornado swept out this little town today
Tornado swept out this little town today
And taken away everything I had.

The lightning flashed, wind rattled around my door
Lightning flashed, wind rattled around my door
Ever since that time, I haven’t seen my house no more.

It ruined my clothes and blowed my bed away
It ruined my clothes, blowed my bed away
I ain’t got no place to lay my heavy head.

The storm come back and blowed my man away
Storm come back and blowed my man away
That’s the reason why I ain’t got a good man today.

I’m lonesome now, I have to walk the street
Lonesome now, I have to walk the street
A flat stranger to everyone I meet.

Mmmmmhhh, tornado ruined my home
Mmmmmhhh, tornado ruined my home
And left me standing with the tornado groan.

http://www.we7.com/album/Luella-Miller/Luella-Miller-1926-1928?m=0

This was recorded on October 11, 1927, less than two weeks after a tornado ripped through St. Louis (on September 29). See “High Water Everywhere: Blues and Gospel Commentary on the 1927 Mississippi River Flood,” pp. 49-50, in Nobody Knows Where the Blues Come From: Lyrics and History, ed. Robert Springer, 2005, 2006.   I'm not sure about one word each in lines 9 ("heavy") and 15 ("flat").  

Photo: St. Louis tornado aftermath and cleanup of telephone poles, 1927. Courtesy of AT&T Archives and History Center.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

How much life hinges on the whims of nature.