Thursday, May 05, 2011

Can You Tell Me the Time, Mr. Ed?


















What's the time?

According to Albert Einstein: "The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." A Buddhist might agree. However, we seem to be moving in one direction as we age, while our memory reaches back, searching through lost time. 



How often do you check the time? What sort of artifact or method do you employ?

I like watches, but rarely wear one anymore. The cellphone seems to do the trick, except when flying on an airplane. As for clocks, I prefer a mix of analog and digital. One can guess by the position of the sun in daytime, adjusted to each season, but that's a pretty rough calculation. In modern society, work and school usually revolve around a tight episodic series of time slots, and we often seem to be calculating time, velocity and distance. We must time ourselves well, lest we be too late or too early.

http://vimeo.com/2128575

Today's Rune: Separation (Reversed).

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I wear a watch. Try as I might I can't seem to get away from time. I think I let it run me far too much.

Mona said...

I still feel that time is a utilitarian necessity...

Erik Donald France said...

Well, we certainly couldn't maintain the wonders of modernity without tight control of time!