Friday, October 07, 2011

Astonishing Vegan Soul Food














Delicious soul food without lard or a dripping infusion of ham hock? Yes! I don't know how they figured it out, but the folks at Spiral Diner in Fort Worth, Texas, (and over in Oak Cliff, Dallas) make very satisfying, tasty vegan soul food, featured now at the Fort Worth location as a Blue Plate Special. You can pick and choose, and so far I've tried (more than once) the Soul Foods Side Plate: black-eyed peas "stewed with just the right herbs, molasses and a spicy kick;" coleslaw "creamy and sweet with a superb tangy balance;" collard greens "tender stewed . . . with the perfect hint of smoke and spice;" vegan mac'n'cheese; and cornbread. The perfect soul food meal for $9.75. I haven't tried the vegan soul food brisket, but I'm guessing it's damned good, too.

Spiral Diner shows that delicious vegan soul food is not only possible, it can be amazingly good, too.

Today's Rune: Harvest.  Quotations from Blue Plate menu.       

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I think I'm gonna have to have the lard myself. :)