Sunday, January 22, 2012

Dusty Roads

















Driving west on I-30 just before dusk and I what do I see? A pall, haze, smog, volcanic ash -- what is it? Dust storm! Out in Lubbock they're blanketed with such stuff and flights are cancelled. What's going on? Climate, climate change, a big dry spell, high winds, human industrial and habitation patterns -- all of it. Above: Dust storm in the Texas Panhandle in 1936. (Photo credit: Library of Congress.)

(Newspaper clippings about the 1930s Dustbowl: Library of Congress)















Which reminds me: there was a dude in Chapel Hill named Dusty Rhoades. Back in the 1980s, he used to hang around the edges of the WXYC alternative radio crowd and always seemed to be everywhere, at least for a couple of years.

Today's Rune: Wholeness.   

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I say there have been some serious drought going on in TExas. We saw it when we passed through last year on our vacation. We saw a couple of small dust storms, and a ton of dust devils.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I thought he was a ballplayer.