Thursday, May 17, 2012

Is That Something You Might Be Interested In?


Here: Belle de Jour/Belle Toujours, not La Reina del Sur



















English language soap operas are gasping for life. The reality is that "reality TV" seems to be trumping old school broadcasting, the kind that's aimed at students and folks who used to rush or remain home to see their "stories."  Admittedly, the only such thing that ever hooked me was Dark Shadows, because it was soap opera with a twist and I was a kid.

The Yacoubian Building is Egyptian.

















Nowadays, I may flip through some international channels and try to catch the drift of, say, a telenovela, something produced by or aired on Azteca México, Galavisión, Telemundo, Globo Internacional, Teléfe Internacional or Univisión. Why? I want to hear the non-English language (in this case mostly Spanish) and try to get at least some of the gist -- and "jest" -- of what people are saying. Not hard to guess what's going on, at least to a great extent. Usually high drama. Latin operatics. Women mad at men and men exasperated, afraid or clownish.  

How about you? Is that something you might be interested in?

Today's Rune: Wholeness.    

2 comments:

the walking man said...

Nope--I have become of fan of Duck Hunters--Oh man I am not sure exactly why I like these guys and Miss Kay but they are definitely reality.

Charles Gramlich said...

I did get kind of attached to One Tree Hill in English for a while. Have watched a few bits and pieces of other language soaps. Some interesting spins on them for sure.