Thursday, January 31, 2013

Beasts of the Southern Wild: Take One















In the case of Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012), believe the hype. Take Werner Herzog's visionary imagery and a dose of David Lynch, torque the mix with Amos Tutuola's fantastical energy and add equal parts originality. Presto and eureka, you've got Benh Zeitlin and Lucy Alibar's big bang for the modest buck. Loved it. Fragments of shimmering dreams resulting from seeing this are still swirling in my head. Wow.

Today's Rune: Signals.    

3 comments:

jodi said...

Erik, I want shimmering dreams swirling in MY head. Want to see this one!

Charles Gramlich said...

Lana is a big David Lynch fan. I find myself fascinated with his work somewhat as well.

Adorably Dead said...

I've been wanting to see this so badly. I would look on Netflix, but that venue has been sorely disappointing as of late.