Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Quentin Tarantino: Django Unchained














Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained (2012) delivers an inspired homage to Sergio Leone-style filmmaking, amped with all the emotions brought on by race-based slavery.  Without hesitation, I'll dub this an "instant classic." Django Unchained is a beautifully shot and choreographed film with crazy over-the-top flourishes. Highly effective retro soundtrack. Memorably quirky details. Quiet moments interspersed with numerous bloodbaths. Tarantino in high form. 
























For anyone who wonders about the veracity of the historical backdrop of Django Unchained, go out and study up on the long history of slavery and racism in the USA and in the rest of the world. Some will be more surprised than others. 

Today's Rune: Mystery Rune.   

5 comments:

jodi said...

Erik, I am not a Tarantino fan but Randy and Dane love his stuff. They will go and see it and then drive me nuts till I endure it!

Sidney said...

Gotta see that. Happy New Year!

the walking man said...

Fuck it, I know enough of American history to be curious why the Dutch who started the slave trade to the Americas and the Brits that followed them get away guilt free while 400 years later we are still fighting very real race wars in this country.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm definitely looking forward to this. Probably on PPV since I doubt the local library will order it.

Adorably Dead said...

I can't believe I still have yet to see this movie. I freaking love Tarantino.