Thursday, July 11, 2013

Give a Fig -- Think Big!

My interests are eclectic, and part of the reason is probably because of the wide variety of books that were available around whatever abode my family was living at during my growing up years. When I hear or see the name Clarence Darrow, I remember books by him. Voltaire, ditto. And I often come back to David J. Schwartz's The Magic of Thinking Big. I remember my buddy Evan joking about it -- that and Ray Bradbury collections like S Is for Space. (By the way, it helps to have actually read the books, too.) 

Which leads me to the idea of Thinking Big. I never -- or rarely -- feel any need to justify my interests or my goals, nor to rationalize anything. To me, the idea of a "bucket list" is silly. How about just a bunch of lists or aspirations, sometimes shifting based on possibilities or new ideas?

You pick a goal, a target, a place you want to visit, or a project you want to work on. Then you figure out if it's important enough to you to make it happen, or fail in the attempt. Zen and the art of life. Seems almost too simple. 

And yet I've heard people say vaguely stuff like, "I want to move to California." And then, year after year, they never even visit California, let alone move there. Which would be fine if they didn't constantly bring it up, and then not do anything about it. 

"Instead of a bucket list, how about you really do something, anything, for yourself?"

This applies to anyone with the good health and wherewithal to pull things off. Because if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is gonna do it for you.

On the other hand, once a real goal or target is determined, positive energy can be devoted to making such a reality.

True or not true -- what do you think?

Today's Rune: Wholeness.   

3 comments:

Tom Sarmo said...

You hit the nail on the head. To me, bucket lists seem like the ultimate recipe for missing out on the present. And, maybe I'm crazy, but I keep thinking those lists are like wolves in sheep's clothing--pretending to be prescriptions for one's happiness, when in actuality they're expectations/pressures from (real or imagined)outside sources

Charles Gramlich said...

Therein lies the secret of getting it done. You've nailed it. Absolutely. I don't do it as much as I should but sometimes.

jodi said...

Erik-by definition, a bucket list is ridiculous. Of course it's a list of things you want to do before you die. Ummm, okay. I have realized some goals and others that I will enjoy in the future. I'm so very basically content.