Sunday, July 28, 2013

Some Mythical Future Time

I cannot say that after this, for five years, any extraordinary thing happened to me, but I lived on in the same course, in the same posture and place, as before; the chief things I was employed in, besides my yearly labour of planting my barley and rice, and curing my raisins, of both which I always kept up just enough to have sufficient stock of one year's provisions beforehand; I say, besides this yearly labour, and my daily pursuit of going out with my gun, I had one labour, to make a canoe . . .

-- Daniel Defoe, The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pirates (1719), chapter 10. 

Name a project, any project, or a trip or something like that. You've been thinking about it for days, months, years. Why are you putting it off to some mythical future time that might never happen? Must it be perfect -- the supply planning, the dreaming, the doing? Is it fear, procrastination, lack of resources, lack of energy, ill health, being trapped, feeling trapped, entropy? 

Look around for something along these lines. Then "tackle" it. Eh?

I just "got around" to framing a couple of items. It feels good, they look good, it is good. Why had I "forgotten" about this little project, and why did it take so long to carry forth? Why do we "put things off" at all, particularly those things we don't have to?

Today's Rune: Joy.  

2 comments:

jodi said...

Erik-good question. I have postponed trips for the 'perfect' time to go. I too, have some things to be framed. Procrastination is so easy to justify. I DO aim to travel more tho!

jodi said...

Erik- I forgot that I want to learn a new to me language or two. Italian and French come to mind!