Sunday, August 04, 2013

Romare Bearden: The Odysseus Series

There's a cool exhibition at the Amon Carter -- Romare Bearden's Odysseus Series. Lots of bold lines, strong hues and tall tales -- including ones many will be familiar with. 

Bearden (1911–1988), who was born in Charlotte, North Carolina, but lived most of his life elsewhere, made a quip something like this: "I never left Charlotte, except physically." 

What do you think of taking familiar tales and recasting them in a different time or context, or place? (Example: Robinson Crusoe on Mars, 1964). My basic aesthetic philosophy is: whatever works.

Today's Rune: Journey.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I think when folks do that kind of recasting thing there can be spectacular failures, but when it works it is indeed cool.

jodi said...

Erik-I am such a purist that I don't think I would enjoy that. But maybe Charles is right-he's got more imagination in his little finger than I do in my whole bod!