Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Down and Delirious in Mexico City

Down and Delirious in Mexico City: The Aztec Metropolis in the Twenty-first Century (New York: Scribner, 2011) by Daniel Hernandez renders vivid impressions of contemporary Mexico. I found it fascinating, the modern "urban tribes," or more accurately consideration of several music and style based possibilities ranging from Punk to Goth and "emo," the ethos of Mexican social groups, Cholo style, cross-fertilization of fashion and ideas, and wild energy.

My grandmother lived in Mexico in the 1970s. That will be for another post somewhere down the line.

Today's Rune: Signals.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Great title. so much is happening on the culture front around the world, and yet I know almost nothing of it from my isolation. I suppose it's impossible to keep with everything, yet I wish there was a way to know more. Blogging helps a bit, I suppose, since I blog with folks all over the world.

jodi said...

Erik-Urban tribes? In Detroit we call them 'gangs'! Does 'ladys who lunch' count as a tribe?