Friday, June 02, 2006

One bastard goes in, another one comes out

I'm delighted to finally be able to watch the full extended version of the great "Spaghetti Western," Il Buono, il Brutto, il Cattivo (1966), Sergio Leone's epic masterpiece showcase for Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, Lee Van Cleef, and Ennio Morricone. For macho existential showdowns, this is the one, and it probably never could have been envisioned on this scale by an American. That's one of the things that makes it so refreshingly great. It's got a touch of the exotic and a strong mordant vision that totally enlivens the hackneyed Western. I love it! I'll have to block out a good chunk of time: this version runs 180 minutes.

In basketball, there's a big showdown between the Detroit Pistons and the Miami Heat. This past Wednesday was beautiful -- especially Ben Wallace blocking Shaq without fouling him, knocking him to the floor. Again tonight, it's do or die!

Here's to the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in our lives . . . . .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Pistons, Go! Here's to Big Ben and all the guys!

Luma Rosa said...

bWell, I could write very. Of the fact of the personage of Clint Eastwood to be of the personages more cool of that I have memory; of wonderful the band-sonorous one of Morricone; of the men to make of points in the immense landscapes; of close-ups of Sergio Leone; of the packings that until finish for having joke sufficiently and adding something special to the film; of the great one, great end. But he does not interest (laughs), even because later he wrote and he would be with laziness to read. ... E since it is said of Westerns, vi "Unforgiven", of the Eastwood. I appreciated sufficiently, and I recommend who it did not see, clearly it is.

Luma Rosa said...

Good luck! Good weekend! Beijus

Cheri said...

I watched that classic whilst smoking apple and rose tobacco from a hookah and sipping nearly frozen Jack from a pint. I'm quite sad at the Pistons loss- icing my foot and yelling inappropriate names at the TV really didn't make my night. =D

Panday said...

Erik,

I'm a big fan of Sergio Leone westerns. My favorite is "Once Upon a Time in the West" because,

1) Claudia Cardinale might be the only woman in film ever who was more beautiful than Sophia Loren.
2) Charles Bronson kicked ass.
3) the "My God, it's Henry Fonda!!" shock was a great touch.
4) the following scene was one of the best ever:
"You got a horse for me?"
"Heh, looks like we're shy one horse."
"Nope... You brought two too many."
[eyes dart around, shock on the bad guys' faces, and then sudden, explosive gunfire. Smoke clears, three dead and Harmonica wounded]

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks, y'all for your comments. Luma and Stephen, you've spared me from having to do a full descriptive analysis anytime soon. I still have a special fondness for The GBU, but I agree about Once Upon a Time in the West -- Cardinale, Bronson and Henry are an inspired mix!