Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Just Give Me Money



Magic Debit Ride

A friend of mine recently lost his wallet, including his debit card. He had to cancel everything and could barely function in the world, needing a passport to prove his identity until he got a replacement driver's license, etc.

Imagine, if you will, flying around on a magic debit card. From below you hear Spartacus-like voices calling for money transfers out of your checking account. Instead of "I'm Spartacus," each voice calls out, "I want your money!"

Gas and Electric monopoly: I want your money!
Internet cable monopoly: I want your money!
Corporate credit extorters: I want your money!
Landlords: I want your money!
Bank: I want your money!
Phone corporation: I want your money!
Federal Government: I want your money!
State Government: I want your money!
Local Government: I want your money!
Insurance Companies: I want your money!
Car: I want your money!

There's an irony to that golden adult moment when we're free of this magic debit ride: we won't be around to enjoy it.

Money (That's What I Want)

I want money
I want lots of money
In fact I want so much money
Give me your money
Just give me money

~~ from The Flying Lizards' reinvention of the Barry Gordy and Janie Bradford song. It's my favorite version.

Today's Rune: Possessions.

Live Long and Prosper!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. Money is a difficult subject. Thanks for writing.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I never have any money on me, nor do I pay any bills. I'm far removed from that process. Don't even do my own taxes anymore. Gave it all away to my wife.

Anonymous said...

It sure seems like we're all flying around on our debit cards, everyone saying,"I want your money....gimme your money..." Especially those telemarketing calls! I'm on the "Do Not Call" list now, but my phone keeps ringing off the hook -- teenage girls! At least they're not asking for money...quite as often! lol --Robin

Anonymous said...

Wow: great post! The Flying Pickets are probably flying higher than the magic debit cards/cartels who enslave many of us. I neve bought the album - but apparantly it's a pop-dub classic. Will seem it out when possible.

By the way I looked at Macomb Community College - I thought you were a librarian?

ZZZZZZZ said...

I think it would be cool to be able to fly. I know what you mean about the "I want your money" everything today is all about the money.

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks y'all for the comments! Much appreciated. Richard, I am a "teaching librarian" -- teach European, World and US history, English, Latin American Studies, Economics, The Great War and the 1920s, writing, and the kitchen sink :-> I proposed Canadian Studies, but that one didn't fly. Cheers, all! Here's to the Do Not Call lists. . .