Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election









The day after and already the times they are a'changing. The US Democrats will now control the House of Representatives, the Senate hangs by a thread between them and Dick Cheney, and Donald Rumsfeld is out. We can expect more historic changes, too.

I recently saw the movie version of Tom Perrotta's novel Little Children and found it as dazzling, entertaining and unsettling as the 1999 movie version of his 1998 novel Election.

Election works as a dark satire and morality tale at all levels, from its high school setting to national and international politics. Reese Witherspoon nails the part of Tracy Flick, fanatically and hysterically running for student body president.

More on both films to come when time permits. Meanwhile, check out the droll and informative New Tom Perrotta Handbook, Perrotta's official website. Perrotta (b. N.J., 8/13/1961) skewers white American suburbia in Little Children like nobody's business. It's dark and funny, but also as serious and structured a tale as any Thomas Hardy novel.



Today's Rune: Signals.

Sweet Victory!

6 comments:

Laura said...

Hopefully with this change of power in the government things for the average American will get much better. I love Reese Witherspoon's movies. She's such a good actress.

JR's Thumbprints said...

The movie "Election" is hilarious. I've seen it a couple of times. I'm sure glad there isn't anymore campaign ads on t.v.

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for the election results!
Ther Japanese are in raptures, and the expats are very happy, excepting many in the armed forces stationed here

Hope the results are not the case of "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." (Won't Get Fooled Again: The Who)

Cheers:)

Bird on a Wire said...

Election is a fantastic film. I also love Sideways, from the same director. I haven't read any Perrotta (sic?), but I'm fascinated by anything that "skewers" suburbia, so I think Little Children is next on my reading list. Thanks.

ZZZZZZZ said...

Election is hilarious! I love Reese Witherspoon. Such a gifted actress. I've seen most of her movies.

Anonymous said...

I loved this movie! Hilarious!