Monday, November 20, 2006

Howard Johnson's: Landmark for Hungry Americans






















Ever been to a Howard Johnson's restaurant or motor lodge? In the 1970s, there were more than 1,000 Hojo's eateries and 500 plus affiliated motor lodges around the USA. The last one I stayed at was in the 1980s. There are, as far as I can determine, no more than four still operating.

The very bright orange theme may be the standout feature of Hojo's. Also the high A frame architecture inside many of them, a sort of ski lodge touch with natural lighting. A particularly attractive feature was their 24-hour service, which guaranteed a roadhouse feel in the middle of the night. They used to have a lock on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, so I stopped at many of them over the years. There was one very near my father's place of work in Durham, North Carolina, so I knew that one well and all the waitresses knew him.

I was rarely tempted by the stranger Howard Johnson's specialties, things like taffy and ice cream (28 flavors!) to go or fried clam strips. Breakfast was my thing, and lots of good hot coffee. Depending on local laws, many served booze, too.

Howard Johnson's featured prominently in popular culture in the 1960s and 1970s, and before collective cultural memories fade, there may be a comeback. Earlier in 2006, La Mancha Group acquired the rights and apparently plans to introduce Hojo's to newer generations, proving once again that what goes around comes around.















Today's Rune: Defense.

Viva Howard Johnson's!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess Howard Johnson didn't successfully cross into other continents, like Dennys or Jonathans, though they are a different breed aren't they?

Still, (where I lived) in the UK we didn't have so many of these type of restaurants - more's the pity. The top picture posted looks like the type of place I'd have gone to. Looks vintage 1950s USA to me. Might well be wrong though! Cheers!

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'm all for bringing back HoJo's. However, they could've gotten rid of Dennys a long long time ago. Weren't they once called Sambos? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know so few still operated. That's a little sad. I do agree with JR, though, Denny's can certainly go. My clueless mother, years before I was even born, waitressed at a Sambos. This makes me cringe.

Laura said...

I miss Ho Jo's. Denny's on the other hand, I am in total agreement with JR and Bird on a wire.