Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Lightning Hopkins: Slavery Time












Like many old school blues artists, Lightning Hopkins (Centreville,Texas, 3/15/1912-1/30/1982) was intense and deeply strange compared to the average Joe. He often played alone, providing all the elements for a blues song. His mentors included Blind Lemon Jefferson and his own cousin and sometimes sidekick, Alger Texas Alexander. In turn, Lightning's vinyl recordings inspired Jimi Hendrix to pick up a guitar and play.

Recently I was helping a student find source material for early blues history, and thought of Lightning Hopkins. The student wanted to trace lyrical content back into the nineteenth century, so we searched the internet for the lyrics to Hopkins' "Slavery Time." We couldn't find them anywhere. When all else fails, there's the do-it-yourself method.

Here is my transcription/interpretation of the 1967 Lightning Hopkins recording:

Slavery Time

Sad when you’re sick at home alone
Won’t nobody coming ‘round
Sad when you’re sick at home alone
Oh Lord no one will come around
Just look like everybody telling everybody else
poor boy is sinkin’ down.

Thousand years my people was a’slaves
When I was born they teach me this way
One thousand years my peoples was slaves
When I was born they teach me this way
Tip your hat to the peoples
Be careful son about what you say.

Didn’t make no difference if it was raining
Do you know man you just had to go
Make no difference if it was raining
Woah man you just had to go
But I’m so glad I’m so glad I’m so glad
It ain’t slavery time no more.

Grandma told Grandpa one morning
I’m tired a’living I just assume a’die
Why these peoples is treating us this way?
I just can’t see the reason why
Grandpa told grandma don’t worry
We’ll be all right at’a’while.

Grandpa told Grandma if we get called back
Just twenty years ago
Everybody gonna get called back old lady
I’m talking about twenty years ago
Yes I would get my shotgun and
I wouldn’t be a slave no more.

(Sam "Lightning" Hopkins, Recorded Houston, Texas, December 18, 1967; Texas Blues CD, 1994).

Today's Rune: Fertility.

Sai an jimà!

6 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

Never heard of the man. Seems like there's some history there worth researching.

Anonymous said...

Never heard of him. But very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I love the blues.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Erik,

I hadn't heard of him either and will seek him out on wikipedia right away. Good to hear the originals.

An influence on Hendrix no less, eh?

Anonymous said...

Try listening to: I Would If I Could on the same record

Henrik M.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the lyrics. I was looking for it.
The method "pikc it up from yourself" do not work for French guys.
So long