Sunday, November 26, 2006

Victoria Spivey: Detroit Moan

















Victoria Spivey (Houston, Texas, 10/15/1906-10/3/1976) began her blues career playing the Texas circuit with the likes of Blind Lemon Jefferson before moving on to St. Louis, Chicago, and New York City, where she lived in a comfortable one room apartment until the end of her days. After a break from touring in the 1950s, she came out swinging with newcomers like Bob Dylan, created Spivey Records and recorded and toured right into the 1970s, with Michigan stops.

"Detroit Moan" was recorded in Chicago on her thirtieth birthday at the height of the Great Depression after a particularly hard experience in Detroit.

Detroit Moan

Detroit's a cold, cold place, and I ain't got a dime to my name
Detroit's a cold, hard place, and I ain't got a dime to my name
I would go the poorhouse, but Lord you know I'm ashamed.

I been walkin' Hastings Street, nobody seems to treat me right
I've been walkin' Hastings Street, nobody seems to treat me right
I can make it in the daytime, but Lord these cold cold nights.

Well I'm tired of eatin' chili, and I can't eat beans no more
Yes I'm tired of eatin' chili, and I can't eat beans no more
People'll hurt my feelings, Lord from door to door.

I got to leave Detroit, if I have to flag number ninety-four
I'm gonna leave Detroit, if I have to flag number ninety-four
And if I ever get back home, I ain't never comin' to Detroit no more.


















Today's Rune: Movement.

Birthdays:

Eugene Ionesco (1912-1994)
Frederick Pohl (b. 1919)
Charles Schulz (1922-2000)
Tina Turner (b. 1939)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Both pictures are wonderful. I'm a big Dylan fan, so it's good to see one of him that I've never seen before.