Friday, January 05, 2007

We Can Remember It for You Wholesale








I started reading an English translation of a French writer's biography of Philip K. Dick (1928-1982), and already it's like back-to-back episodes of the original Twilight Zone.

Just about everybody knows Dick's handiwork -- not only is his fiction interesting and strange, but it provides the inspiration and basis for several movies:

Blade Runner (1982)
Total Recall (1990)
Open Your Eyes (1997)
Minority Report (2002)
Paycheck (2003)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
A Scanner Darkly (2006)
Next (2007)

Pretty good showing for a dead writer. So far, his father, a returning World War One vet, scares little Phil half to death by putting on his gas mask when he's a wee'un, inspiring all sorts of fears that make their way into his writing. Next, a more grown up Phil's first wife theatens to destroy his precious record collection (ditto.), leading him to divorce her immediately. Second wife is cool, but not cool enough to prevent him from running off with wife number three, even though they have successfully navigated a series of eerie visits by two FBI agents during the Cold War. All this transpires in the first fifty pages. Which reminds me of the lines from "The Message," by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five: "It makes me wonder how I keep from going under." As it turns out, Dick did go under in 1982 in his early fifties, just about the same time Blade Runner and "The Message" were released.

Here, post-Dick, was a rap song with a point, and I still remember every aspect of it. A snippet of the lyrics:

My son said, Daddy, I don't wanna go to school
'cuz the teacher's a jerk,
he must think I'm a fool
And all the kids smoke reefer,
I think it'd be cheaper if I just got a job,
learned to be a street sweeper
Or dance to the beat, shuffle my feet
Wear a shirt and tie and run with the creeps

'cuz it's all about money,
ain't a damn thing funny
You got to have a con in
this land of milk and honey

I guess not everybody wants to "run with the creeps," huh? At least that's something. On the other hand, also about the same time there was David Bowie's "Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)." Must have been artistic sensitivity to the unfolding 80s. In 2007, I seem to know several of these ugly creatures who mutated and faded but never seem to go away completely -- residing in Metro Detroit and elsewhere.

Finally, a plug for Children of Men (2006), a science fiction drama set in 2027 by novelist P.D. James. Besides this, I also look forward to seeing Notes on a Scandal (2006), Factory Girl (2006), Letters from Iwo Jima (2006), and others.

Today's Rune: Strength.

Sayonara!

7 comments:

ZZZZZZZ said...

I have seen a lot of those movies and they are good. I haven't seen A Scanner Darkly yet but my boyfriend is hell bent on making me watch it! ;o)

Anonymous said...

I also agree on your music blog nomination. I don't know much about music, but you sure do.

Danny Tagalog said...

Hi Erik,

I haven't seen A Scanner Darkly yet - is it worth it???

You got my vote too.

This blog malarky truly is a full time pursuit isn't it! You can't just dip in, can you?

Bloody addictive if you wade too far in as well...

Full marks for effortless daily posts full of informative comment.

Cheers

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks y'all for the comments. I doubt I'll see Scanner. Animated movies . . . best left for DVD or never . . . . . . with some exceptions . . .

Danny, this is definitely addictive, but it's good for focus and concetration, I suspect. Discipline, perhaps? Cheers'

Pythia3 said...

Hi Erik . . . I did not post today - so busy, but I thought I'd stop in and read some of my fellow bloggers posts.
I love those sci-fi flicks, after all, I grew up during the sci-fi era and thought we'd all be living like the Jetsons by now.
I want to see Children of Men (I thought I heard Sigur Ros in the soundtrack?) I love their music - are you familiar? I saw them at the State last year. Also loved Eternal Sunshine . . . and many more.
As writer, I guess we have a better chance at being understood (or fashionably misunderstood) after our death. Peace :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Erik,
Really like this post; didn't know Philip K. Dick was responsible for all those movies. My daughter just say Children of Men tonight and said it was good, but she didn't like the ending. I didn't ask why. I want to see it, myself.
Happy New Year, btw! Look forward to reading more of your interesting posts. I always learn something new!

Erik Donald France said...

Thanks also, Pythia and Robin, for the comments! Given that I'm also in my forties, I think we know a lot of the same reference points with SF and all those wild visions of the future, which is now or coming. Plastic chips in the works, at least, if also global warming. Sigur Ros is cool -- otherworldly, Icelandic, perfect for a movie such as Children of Men, I suspect. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Blade Runner are so good! They really work beautifully.

Cheers!