Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Bob Sheldon


My friend Bob Sheldon: somebody gunned him down during the first weeks of the Persian Gulf War on this date, February 21, 1991, in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Shot him in the head and left him for dead after closing time for Internationalist Books, the enterprise he'd created from scratch. As far as I know, the case is still unsolved.

Bob had recently spoken out against the war just as he'd spoken out against Vietnam and when he died, he must have been barely in his forties, younger than I am now. He was visible and vocal, providing rare dissent to the Gulf War on TV. His killing was as senseless as today's Iraq War, as the disappearance of Turkish feminist blogger Istanbulwitchy, as the vicious hooligan attack on Ash (Deviant Anamoly) in Australia, as insane as the assassination of Hrant Dink for simply writing about the Armenian Genocide in Turkey.

I first met Bob when he was working at UNC as a sort of medic-nurse in 1981 -- he treated me, an undergraduate, for a nasty case of poison ivy, bandaging my arms like a burn victim. I was reading an article about the Sandinistas in Nicaragua and he struck up a conversation. Not long afterwards I checked out his new bookstore on Henderson Street, and when he set up shop on Rosemary Street not far from where I worked maybe a couple of years later, I began working at Internationalist Books, too. We had a lot of pithy conversations over the years, and he was one of the few people I knew to provide moral support for a sit-in protesting American involvement with the Contras in the time of Reagan.

Internationalist Books and Community Center lives on at a third location, right on Franklin Street. Much more to write about Bob Sheldon and Internationalist Books, but today is his remembrance day.



Today's Rune: The Self.

Ash Wednesday. Bob Sheldon, RIP.

5 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

There's so much senseless violence in our society. And for what? The ones that do get caught usually don't give a shit about anything but themselves. Nice tribure to your friend Bob.

Danny Tagalog said...

Yeah, good tribute - and you think something has really happened to Istanbulwitchy??

Did you read about the jailed Egyptian blogger?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6385849.stm

It can't happen here?

Charles Gramlich said...

Merely shakes his head.

Anonymous said...

Egyptian blogger Abdel Kareem Nabil, 22, was sentenced Thursday to four years in jail for using his Web postings to criticize the Islamic religion, the Prophet Muhammad and Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.

Johnny Yen said...

Bless you for remembering him this day. I know that friends, family, and even my wife are irritated at me for being so broken up over the murder of my friend Mark Evans, but goddamn, he was my friend and he made my life so much better, and I miss him. God help us the day we can't be hurt and outraged by the loss of people like them.